Home > Partner Initiative >
A. Arjunan -- Filed On: 17/9/2011
Name of Applicant: A. Arjunan
Name of Department: Central Bureau of Investigation
Subject: How autonomous is the CBI?
In this context I would like to know the following information:
(1) What are the periodical returns which CBI Director or someone on his behalf required to send to the Government?
(2) What is the periodicity of these returns, the proforma in which these returns are sent, to whom it is sent and what does the Government do with these returns;
(3) Does any discussion takes place on the contents of these returns between the CBI and the Government and minutes kept of such discussions?
(4) Is there any monitoring of the progress of pending cases and are instructions, if any, on each case conveyed orally, indirectly or directly, explicitly in writing?
(5) What mechanism is available to ensure that available resources with the CBI are deployed/utilized in the optimum manner consistent with considerations of fairness, impartiality etc. This is relevant to understand why suddenly CBI springs into action on older pending cases and very selectively on more recent cases.